{
  "id": 2108900,
  "title": "Senior FIFA official exits after Infantino criticism",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/20/senior-fifa-official-exits-after-infantino-criticism",
  "topic": "culture",
  "section": "Culture",
  "published": "2026-08-20T09:54:13.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Ghanaian Times",
    "slug": "ghanaian-times",
    "url": "https://ghanaiantimes.com.gh/senior-fifa-official-exits-after-infantino-criticism-2/"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "FIFA announced on Monday that Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour had resigned from the organization, following his public criticism of Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in the commercial rights of World Cup and other tournaments. Lamour had joined FIFA's senior leadership group in November 2024, having previously been part of the inner circle that backed Infantino's election as FIFA president in 2016. A FIFA spokesperson confirmed the working relationship between FIFA and Lamour had ended on August 17, 2026, and expressed gratitude for his two years of service. Lamour had previously criticized the proposal, alleging that FIFA staff were deceived over it and describing it as a \"project of one person.\" He also stated that FIFA's mission was to serve football, not the personal interests of an individual who believed he embodied FIFA. After Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest, Infantino withdrew the proposal that same day. Despite the controversy, Infantino's bid for a fourth term as president in March 2027, which seemed a formality, is now uncertain. Opposition to the plan comes from powerful European confederation UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), and CONCACAF, among others. However, Infantino still has support from the African and South American confederations. Human rights in sport organization FairSquare has urged FIFA's Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee (GACC) to disqualify Infantino from seeking another term, as presidents are limited to three terms.",
  "summary": "FIFA said on Monday that Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, had left the organisation, weeks after he publicly criticised Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments. Lamour joined the senior leadership group of soccer’s global governing body in November 2024, having previously been part … The post Senior FIFA official exits after…",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 4,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "Yahoo Sports",
        "title": "Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/18/beleaguered-fifa-chief-infantino-rids-himself-of-critic-lamour",
        "published": "2026-08-18T19:12:06.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "Ghanaian Times",
        "title": "Senior FIFA official exits after Infantino criticism",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/19/senior-fifa-official-exits-after-infantino-criticism",
        "published": "2026-08-19T08:01:00.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "Channel News Asia",
        "title": "Infantino loses more support as FIFA official says COO dismissal was 'final straw'",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/19/infantino-loses-more-support-as-fifa-official-says-coo-dismissal-was",
        "published": "2026-08-19T13:44:31.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}