{
  "id": 2060984,
  "title": "A 5-year-old boy killed by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip had told his mother that “tanks are next to us” moments before he was shot, according to an investigation by the Israeli military.\n\nThe boy, identified as Laith Rajab, was shot and killed on January 21 in the southern Gaza city of Khan Yunis.\n\nThe military said on Wednesday that an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Laith’s death found that forces had opened fire on a vehicle that had been driving “erratically” and “aggressively” toward them.\n\nThe probe found that moments before he was killed, Laith had told his mother that “tanks are next to us,” and that she had replied, “Where? I don’t see them.”\n\nThe military said that after Laith was shot, forces had found a “suspicious vehicle” nearby and that “it was assessed that the vehicle posed a threat.”\n\nThe military said that “appropriate recommendations” had been made following the investigation.\n\nLaith’s family has disputed the military’s account of the incident.\n\nHis mother, Ahlam Rajab, told Al Jazeera that her son had been killed by Israeli forces while he was on his way to buy meat for a family barbecue.\n\nShe said that they had been driving in a civilian vehicle with a white flag and that there had been no attempt to attack Israeli forces.\n\nThe Israeli military said that it regrets “any harm caused to non-combatants” but that it would not be launching a criminal investigation into Laith’s death.\n\nThe military said that it operates “in accordance with the laws of war and with great sensitivity toward non-combatants.”\n\nThe killing of Laith has sparked widespread outrage across the Palestinian territories.\n\nGaza’s health ministry said that a total of 28 people, including 23 children, have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of 2022.\n\nThe Israeli military has stepped up its attacks on the Gaza Strip in recent weeks, amid a surge in tensions along the border.\n\nThe escalation in violence has raised fears of another full-scale war in the territory.\n\nThe Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since 2007.",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/20/5",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-20T00:50:50.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Hankyoreh",
    "slug": "hankyoreh",
    "url": "https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/international/international_general/1273761.html"
  },
  "original_language": "ko",
  "account": null,
  "summary": null,
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 1,
    "also_reported_by": []
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}