{
  "id": 2053357,
  "title": "Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ consequences for countries aiding Iran",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/20/trump-threatens-tremendous-consequences-for-countries-aiding-iran",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-20T01:00:22.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Malay Mail",
    "slug": "malay-mail-malaymail",
    "url": "https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2026/08/20/trump-vows-tremendous-economic-costs-on-iran-partners/231981"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "On August 20, US President Donald Trump announced a major new campaign to target Iran's economy, warning that any country aiding Iran would face \"tremendous\" economic consequences. This intensified economic pressure campaign comes as the conflict with Iran has been ongoing for six months, with no clear diplomatic or military resolution in sight, particularly affecting the critical Strait of Hormuz. With the upcoming November elections, Trump is under increased domestic pressure regarding the war's impact on U.S. consumers and military expenses.\n\nIn a statement on Truth Social, Trump declared, \"Today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale.\" He said that any nation allowing its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or governmental entities to provide any support to Iran would also face significant economic repercussions, without specifying the exact penalties. The Treasury Secretary, Scott Bessent, had previously hinted at a ramping up of efforts to economically isolate Iran through a two-pronged approach involving naval blockades and unprecedented economic sanctions. The U.S. Treasury has been executing \"Operation Economic Fury,\" which aims to cut off Iran's funding via targeted sanctions. Despite these measures, Iran has maintained a defiant stance, surviving numerous US military operations that haven't led to a decisive end to the war. The Pentagon has denied reports of significant reductions in US munition stockpiles.\n\nIranian defiance has escalated, with Iran retaliating to US-Israeli attacks since February 28 and drawing down US munition stockpiles. The Strait of Hormuz has been significantly impacted by the conflict, with Iran's missile and drone strikes severely restricting shipping traffic. U.S. forces have reportedly facilitated the transit of 15 to 20 ships in and out of the strait each night, carrying nearly half the pre-war volume of daily oil shipments. In recent days, both sides have reported ongoing communications, but Trump insisted on Tuesday that talks were off, posting a message suggesting the strait could become \"NEW US Territory.\"\n\nMeanwhile, the UAE announced it was suspending all economic dealings with Iran after alleging it was targeted by two ballistic missiles. The UAE and other neighboring countries share cultural and historical ties to Iran but now stand united with the US in attempting to isolate and counteract the \"Iran threat.\" Trump emphasized the need for all allies to support the U.S. in this endeavor on Truth Social.",
  "summary": "WASHINGTON, Aug 20 — US President Donald Trump said yesterday he was launching a major new campaign to target Iran...",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 1,
    "also_reported_by": []
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}