{
  "id": 1851643,
  "title": "A map showing earthquake risk that was made public in 2005 predicted that the area in which many buildings completely collapsed in Yatsushiro, Kumamoto Prefecture, was at high risk of damage.\n\nThe Japanese government released the map in March 2005, showing areas that could be damaged by earthquakes.\n\nThe map predicted that the area around Yatsushiro City, where many buildings have collapsed, was at \"high risk\" or \"extremely high risk\".\n\nThe city is located near the Shichimen Fault and the Kyushu Shinkansen line and the JR Kagoshima Main Line railway tracks run through it.\n\nThe government said that in areas at \"extremely high risk\", residents should take stronger earthquake resistant measures such as reinforcing buildings.\n\nThe Yatsushiro area was hit by a magnitude 5.0 earthquake on April 14 and a magnitude 7.1 earthquake on April 16.\n\nThe April 14 earthquake occurred at 12:39 a.m. local time with an epicenter at a depth of 10 kilometers.\n\nThe April 16 earthquake occurred at 1:25 a.m. local time with an epicenter at a depth of 10 kilometers.\n\nThe earthquakes caused widespread damage and triggered many landslides.\n\nAccording to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, as of 8 a.m. on April 21, 9 people had been killed and 1, 314 injured.\n\nA total of 5, 395 buildings had been completely or partially destroyed.\n\nThe agency said that 2, 000 people were unaccounted for in the area around the city.\n\nThe government has set up shelters for evacuees and is distributing food and water.\n\nThe Self Defense Forces have been dispatched to assist with relief efforts.\n\nEmiko Okada, a resident of Yatsushiro, said that she had never imagined that her house would collapse.\n\nShe said that she was at home when the earthquake occurred and was able to escape.\n\nMs. Okada said that she was grateful that her family was safe.\n\nThe government has promised to do its best to help people affected by the disaster.\n\nPrime Minister Shinzo Abe said that the government would do everything it could to help those affected.\n\nHe said that the government would provide support to help people get back to their normal lives as soon as possible.\n\nMr. Abe visited the affected area on April 20.\n\nHe met with local residents and saw the damage firsthand.\n\nThe government has allocated 10 billion yen for disaster relief.\n\nThe money will be used to provide food, water and shelter for those affected.\n\nThe government has also set up a fund to help people affected by the disaster.\n\nThe fund will be used to help people repair or rebuild their homes.\n\nThe government has promised to do everything it can to help those affected by the disaster.\n\nThe people of Yatsushiro are struggling to come to terms with the disaster.\n\nThey are grateful for the support of the government and the public.\n\nThe government has promised to do its best to help those affected.\n\nThe people of Yatsushiro will rebuild and recover.",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/19/story-1851643",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-19T02:00:00.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "The Asahi Shimbun",
    "slug": "the-asahi-shimbun",
    "url": "http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASV8J4F5VV8JUHNB003M.html?ref=rss"
  },
  "original_language": "ja",
  "account": null,
  "summary": null,
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 1,
    "also_reported_by": []
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}