{
  "id": 1718221,
  "title": "Prabowo's Visit to NTT Earthquake Zone Being Planned, Palace Says",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/18/prabowos-visit-to-ntt-earthquake-zone-being-planned-palace-says",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-18T13:37:53.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Tempo.co English",
    "slug": "tempo-co-english",
    "url": "https://en.tempo.co/read/2117793/prabowos-visit-to-ntt-earthquake-zone-being-planned-palace-says"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "President Prabowo Subianto's scheduled visit to regions impacted by the recent earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) is still being organized, according to State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi. Prasetyo explained that a presidential visit to a disaster area necessitates unique preparations due to the differing circumstances on the ground compared to regular visits. He cautioned that early on, resources may initially be concentrated on resolving urgent issues.\n\nThe central government is continuously monitoring the disaster response, with various ministries and agencies such as the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) and the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) providing regular updates. Regional governments, including the Central Java provincial government, have also contributed aid to those affected by the earthquake.\n\nWhen asked about the likelihood of Prabowo visiting NTT this week, Prasetyo stated that the government was still evaluating the situation on the ground. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the region early Saturday, prompting an early tsunami warning from the Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysical Agency (BMKG). Prabowo had previously pledged to ensure residents received prompt and comprehensive emergency aid.\n\nOn August 16, the government distributed 50,000 packages of essential supplies to NTT to assist earthquake victims. The president also directed relevant agencies to coordinate efforts across sectors for a rapid and targeted response, ordering officials to personally assess conditions in the affected areas. Prabowo urged state-owned companies Bulog, PLN, Pertamina, and telecommunications firm Telkom Indonesia to participate in the disaster response. He expressed sympathy and prayers for the affected residents, emphasizing that public safety and access to basic necessities were the government's top priorities during the emergency.",
  "summary": "President Prabowo Subianto's visit to earthquake-hit East Nusa Tenggara is being planned as the government assesses conditions on the ground.",
  "key_points": [
    "President Prabowo's visit to NTT earthquake zone is being planned.",
    "State Secretary Prasetyo explains unique preparations needed.",
    "Government monitoring disaster response closely."
  ],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 1,
    "also_reported_by": []
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}