{
  "id": 1709142,
  "title": "Sharon Otieno family seeks compensation after eight-year court battle in Obado murder trial",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/18/sharon-otieno-family-seeks-compensation-after-eight-year-court-battle",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-18T11:42:06.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "KahawaTungu",
    "slug": "kahawatungu",
    "url": "https://kahawatungu.com/sharon-otieno-family-seeks-compensation-after-eight-year-court-battle-in-obado-murder-trial/"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "The family of Sharon Otieno, a student who was murdered, has sought compensation in a high court. They claim that her death and the lengthy eight-year court proceedings have left them emotionally and financially devastated. In a victim impact statement, the family revealed they had to sell land and a cow to cover expenses related to the murder, funeral, and court battles. The report estimates that the family spent around Sh1.2 million on travel, accommodation, and meals while attending court in Nairobi over seven to eight years, while funeral and burial costs amounted to about Sh3.5 million. This financial strain has left the family struggling to meet basic needs like education, healthcare, food, and housing. They hope for compensation and orders that would alleviate their financial difficulties. The family also endured significant emotional distress, trauma, and psychological torture during the trial. Sharon's death not only deprived them of a daughter and sister but also left her three children without their mother, creating a secondary loss for them. The family has experienced grief, psychological trauma, and economic vulnerability since Sharon's passing. They also expressed concerns over the negative media exposure they received, which they say has affected their dignity and caused anxiety. They also fear potential retaliation from people connected to the case due to the lack of accountability. While reconciliation efforts were made with the families of the accused, no resolution was reached with the third accused's family. The report states that honoring the commitments made during the reconciliation process could help address some of the family's needs. Principal Probation Officer Salome Muthoni has advised the court to consider the report's findings when determining the sentence for Obado and his co-accused. The family has requested the court to look at all the report's recommendations when deciding on the sentence, which is expected on September 16, 2026.",
  "summary": "The family of slain Rongo University student Sharon Otieno asked the High Court to consider compensation. The family said her murder and the eight-year court battle have left them emotionally traumatised and financially depleted. In a victim impact statement contained in a probation report filed ahead of sentencing, the family said it had been forced [...] The post Sharon Otieno family seeks…",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 2,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "KahawaTungu",
        "title": "Obado seeks lenient sentence, citing age, health and lengthy trial",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/18/obado-seeks-lenient-sentence-citing-age-health-and-lengthy-trial",
        "published": "2026-08-18T11:37:12.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}