{
  "id": 1581920,
  "title": "State Dept. reiterates US remains open to dialogue with N. Korea 'without preconditions'",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/state-dept-reiterates-us-remains-open-to-dialogue-with-n-korea-1581920",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-17T22:57:03.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "The Korea Times",
    "slug": "the-korea-times-koreatimes",
    "url": "https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/foreignaffairs/northkorea/20260818/state-dept-reiterates-us-remains-open-to-dialogue-with-n-korea-without-preconditions"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "The U.S. Department of State reiterated on Monday that Washington remains open to discussions with North Korea without any preconditions, according to a statement by a spokesperson at the department. This came a day after President Donald Trump announced the Pentagon will reduce military exercises with South Korea, seen as a conciliatory move towards Pyongyang.\n\nThe spokesperson clarified that the U.S. remains open to dialogue with North Korea without preconditions, in response to inquiries from Yonhap News Agency about potential State Department-level efforts to resume diplomacy with Pyongyang and the possibility of appointing a new special representative for North Korea. Regarding the latter, the official noted, \"We have no personnel announcements to make at this time.\"\n\nDuring Trump's first term, Stephen Biegun served as the special representative for North Korea from August 2018 to January 2021. Following that, Sung Kim, previously the U.S. ambassador to South Korea, held the position from May 2021 to November 2023.",
  "summary": "WASHINGTON — The Department of State reiterated Monday that the United States remains open to talks with North Korea \"without preconditions,\" a day after President Donald Trump said he has ordered the Pentagon to reduce South Korea-U.S. military exercises in what appears to be a conciliatory gesture toward Pyongyang. \"President Trump has made clear, the United States remains open to dialogue with…",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 3,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "Yonhap News",
        "title": "(LEAD) Trump says N. Korea's Kim has responded to his dialogue overture",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/lead-trump-says-n-koreas-kim-has-responded-to-his-dialogue-overture",
        "published": "2026-08-17T19:45:58.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "The Korea Times",
        "title": "State Dept. reiterates US remains open to dialogue with N. Korea 'without preconditions'",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/state-dept-reiterates-us-remains-open-to-dialogue-with-n-korea",
        "published": "2026-08-17T22:52:03.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}