{
  "id": 1533857,
  "title": "Israeli flags on Lebanon highway violate UN resolution, UNIFIL says",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/israeli-flags-on-lebanon-highway-violate-un-resolution-unifil-says",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-17T18:24:50.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Jerusalem Post",
    "slug": "jerusalem-post",
    "url": "https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-905810"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "Israeli flags flying along a key Lebanese highway have been deemed a breach of a UN Security Council resolution, according to the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). The peacekeeping force urged all parties to refrain from provocative actions. Israel launched a military invasion of southern Lebanon during a conflict with Hezbollah earlier this year, creating a self-declared security zone intended to protect northern Israel from attacks by the Iran-backed group.\n\nA video posted on Sunday by Israeli Channel 12 news reporter Amit Segal captured Israeli flags on the Naqoura-Tyre coastal road, a vital route connecting southern Lebanon and a common path used by UNIFIL. The footage seemed to have been taken from a military vehicle. Reuters confirmed the video's location but could not verify when it was filmed. Segal received the video from Israeli soldiers.\n\nUNIFIL spokesperson Kandice Ardiel reported that peacekeepers had spotted several Israeli flags in Lebanese territory, including the coastal road and Naqoura village. The flags violated UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which concluded a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah. Ardiel reiterated that Israel must cease all violations of the resolution and avoid any acts that could heighten tensions or lead to further breaches.\n\nIn response to inquiries, Israel's military stated that its forces were operating in southern Lebanon to eliminate threats posed by Hezbollah to Israeli civilians and IDF troops, in line with international law. Israel is not targeting the Lebanese state or its citizens, the military added. No immediate response was provided by the Lebanese army.\n\nDefense Minister Israel Katz previously declared that Israel would not withdraw from southern Lebanon until Hezbollah is disarmed. A US-mediated agreement between Lebanon and Israel envisions a gradual Israeli withdrawal contingent on Hezbollah's verified disarmament. Hezbollah, founded by Iran's Revolutionary Guards in 1982, vehemently opposes Beirut's negotiations with Israel and has refused to discuss its weapons before an Israeli withdrawal. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, campaigning for an October election, highlighted the buffer zone as a significant accomplishment during a June 30th visit with troops.",
  "summary": "Israel's military invaded a swathe of southern Lebanon during a war with Hezbollah this year, establishing a self-declared security zone that it says aims to shield northern Israel from attacks.",
  "key_points": [
    "Israeli flags on Lebanese highway violate UN Security Council Resolution 1701.",
    "UNIFIL urges cessation of provocative actions along Naqoura-Tyre coastal road.",
    "Israel claims military presence in Lebanon to protect against Hezbollah threats."
  ],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 2,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "Ajel English",
        "title": "UNIFIL says Israeli flags on Lebanese roads violate UN resolution",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/unifil-says-israeli-flags-on-lebanese-roads-violate-un-resolution",
        "published": "2026-08-17T17:32:19.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}