{
  "id": 1455199,
  "title": "Trump scales back U.S.-South Korea drills, citing close ties with Kim Jong Un",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/trump-scales-back-u-s-south-korea-drills-citing-close-ties-with-kim",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-17T09:06:00.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "New Voice of Ukraine",
    "slug": "new-voice-of-ukraine",
    "url": "https://english.nv.ua/nation/trump-scales-back-u-s-south-korea-drills-citing-close-relationship-with-kim-jong-un-50633248.html"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "President Donald Trump has reduced the scale of joint military drills between the United States and South Korea, attributing the decision to his \"very good\" rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The exercises, which began on August 17, were deemed inappropriate and hostile by South Korea, which has maintained a non-threatening and respectful relationship with the U.S. since Trump took office. Trump claimed that the drills were expensive and did not align with Seoul's stance on denuclearizing Iran. Despite South Korea's rejection of an invitation from Trump to join efforts to denuclearize Iran, the president instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to cut back the drills. North Korea responded to the reduced exercises with threats, accusing the U.S. and South Korea of bringing the world closer to nuclear war and stating its readiness to exercise self-defense. North Korea has previously accused the U.S. of using nuclear capabilities for hegemonic and aggressive purposes and has vowed to strengthen its military to deter potential conflicts.",
  "summary": "US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. He cited his \"very good\" relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to support US efforts to denuclearize Iran, as well as the cost of the drills.\n\nThe exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, were scheduled to run until August 27 with around 18,000 South Korean military personnel participating. According to The Jakarta Post, Trump said on his Truth Social site that he was \"not happy\" with the US participation in the drills, describing them as \"costly\" and sending an \"inappropriate and hostile\" signal to North Korea.\n\nSouth Korea's presidential Blue House said it was reviewing Trump's post and hopes that his friendly relationship with Kim Jong Un will lead to meaningful dialogue between the two countries. The Blue House also stated that it would continue diplomatic consultations on US-Korea military cooperation related to the Strait of Hormuz, while discussing details on joint military drills with the US, Channel News Asia reported.",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 2,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "IOL",
        "title": "Trump cuts US South Korea military drills over North Korea tensions",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/17/trump-cuts-us-south-korea-military-drills-over-north-korea-tensions",
        "published": "2026-08-17T07:27:00.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}